google summer of code

Nils Philippsen nphilipp at redhat.com
Fri Jun 3 15:31:55 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-06-03 at 16:23 +0200, ness wrote:
> Nils Philippsen wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 2005-06-03 at 14:19 +0200, ness wrote:
> >

> >>I'm not actually using fredora, but I want to be active at the 'google
> >>summer of code'. I've got a strange idea for a project, and I think a
> >>distribution is the best organization to call. My project has not
> >>directly sth. to do with fredora, it's more 'distribution independ'.
> >>Would fredora like to be to mentoring organization for such a project?
> >>If so, I'd be happy to tell you more about my project.
> >>

> >Chicken and egg problem here, people probably can't answer unless they
> >know more about your proposal.
> >
> >Nils
> >

> OK, if I understand you right, I shall tell more about my project. My
> first question was wether fredora would mentor a project not directly
> connected to the fredora distribution. But more about my proposal:
> The idea is an udev based authentication using an usb-stick. This means
> following: I put the stick into the pc, then, if a loginmanger is
> started, it will automaticly open a graphical session. If not, a shell
> based session will start. I think I could add interesting expands to
> that, such as automaticly open encrypted devices... I'd realize this
> (means: writing patches for common dm, write the udev rule and so on)
> and write config tools. If you want, I sent you a complete spec of what
> I'd be going to do.

This sounds interesting, consider auto-locking of the session (via
xscreensaver and/or vlock) when the USB stick is removed (just a random
idea I've been carrying around with me for a while). I could imagine
that you could do that within the "Fedora project space", but I'm not
the one doing decisions. Anybody else?

Nils
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp at redhat.com