What next?

Mike Hearn mike at navi.cx
Fri Jun 3 21:20:06 UTC 2005

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 10:57:46 +0200, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> So what I'm saying is that user should choose their own "1 linux", be it
> fedora, ubuntu, suse, .... and live within the boundaries of that.

Well, I don't really mind a thriving ecosystem of distros, but I feel
that this is like saying users should live within the boundaries of their
desktop and never run apps that don't use their preferred toolkit. That's
needlessly limiting and hurts developers and end users alike.

I don't think standardisation would seriously modify most distros. KDE is
still KDE and GNOME is still GNOME even though they share some
infrastructure these days. Most of the things that were standardised
weren't obviously better or worse in either desktop. It'd be the same for
distributions.

thanks -mike