What next?

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Sun Jun 5 23:34:55 UTC 2005

> >  I'm only left with the guess that you think doing both in
> > parallel need more workforce than we have currently, is that right ?
> > If it's the case it might be worth asking why there isn't more
> > volunteers
> > to help on the infrastructure.
>
> Another problem.  Outsiders can't really do much.  We're told that
> things are being worked on to help us contribute, and so far the only
> thing we can contribute is extras packages.  Infrastructure is decided
> on behind mostly closed doors, and the only thing that has worked for
> community contribution is to just build something (like the Extras build
> system) and shove it in RH's face, so that they have to take it and use
> it.

I've found that the best way for external folks to make larger changes
is to have their own infrastructure. Hence, fedora  extras runs out of
my building. :) We've got to get beyond that or make a nice way of tying
together multiple infrastructures as 'fedora'. I think we're getting
closer to that in some ways. We need to update and renovate
http://fedoraproject.org and try to stop relying on fedora.redhat.com
for the web infrastructure I think, especially in light of the fedora
foundation. Finding fedora as a subdomain off of redhat.com makes less
sense if the goal of the fedora foundation is for fedora to live a
little more on its own.

-sv