Making update functionality more usable (Was: Re: What next?)

Rui Miguel Seabra rms at 1407.org
Mon Jun 6 08:53:31 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-06-05 at 22:20 -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-06-03 at 09:34 -0500, Matthew Lenz wrote:
> > I hate to admit it but I remove all the redhat update stuff as well and
> > use yum or apt-get (if i'm feeling impatient).  I used ubuntu for awhile
> > (but ultimately found fedora to be superior) and found their update
> > functionality much more usable.
>
> Since one of the goals of FC5 is to have pup in place to handle updates
> from a graphical point of view, I'd be interested in hearing what sorts
> of things made the Ubuntu stuff more usable.  Or the same for other
> distros as well.

The update-notifier is wonderfull.
I have a translator using Ubuntu, and the way the icon *only* shows it
self when there are updates was enough to make her go check it out.
When she was trying Fedora, that didn't happen. The icon was always
there, and making it flash wasn't appealing enough.

Also, the way it was just click... click... now it's updating, was so
easy that I've found she's updating without ever having to tell her to
do it :)

Rui

+ So let's do it...?