Firefox crippling (was: What next?)

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Mon Jun 6 14:07:02 UTC 2005

--On Monday, June 06, 2005 8:16 AM -0500 Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>
wrote:

> Once upon a time, Alan Cox <alan at redhat.com> said:
>> [I find it funny people call it "Unix like" keybindings btw,
>> historically its nothing like 'unix keybindings'  8)]
>
> ^W is a Unix "delete previous word" keybinding.

I remember using that on TOPS-20 in the early 80's. Did it inherit the
command line hot keys from early Unix?

I usually get burned using control-W in the command buffer of Lugaru
Epsilon, a commercial Emacs clone (available for Win32, Linux, and BSD). In
that context it "wipes" everything back to the last mark, which if one
wasn't explicitly set, defaults to the start of the buffer. If I then
mindlessly yank, it pastes the entire command buffer into the current
command line. Fortunately this now generates a popup warning asking me if I
really want to paste 1000's of command lines. (Lugaru is very responsive to
user requests.)