Java and Mono Licensing -- WAS: Fedora Goals

Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith@ieee.org> thebs413 at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 7 21:14:33 UTC 2005

From: Richard Li <richardl at redhat.com>
> Classpath and gcj are GPL. They have also made enormous strides in
> stability, performance, and completeness as of late (cf OpenOffice, Jonas).

Yes, I've been tracking that as well.  It was a pleasant surprise to see.
While a lot of people have been complaining about it, Red Hat and
other developers are actually solving the issues.

I sincerely hope that it will reach the point where you can take
just about any, major Java code, and target both the Java byte
code and native byte with gcj, as well as AWT/Swing with Classpath.

I'll have to bring myself up-to-speed on those developments.

Otherwise, I had been going down the Mono route because I very
much like the GPL/LPGL/BSD Compiler/Library/Class Library combo.
It allows you to license under whatever you want, GPL, MIT, etc...

And I'm somewhat of a GTK+/GTK# fan for cross-platform development.
Swing is good, but has left much to be desired IMHO.

Bryan J. Smith   mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org