OT: nVidia driver [was: Wish list]]

Jerone Young jerone at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 01:28:13 UTC 2005

I do apologis to the list for getting this flame war started so this
is my last post on this.

On 6/7/05, Sean <seanlkml at sympatico.ca> wrote:
> > Why so angry. I think that you should really get off the religious
> > kick. I for one have been using Linux for an extremely long time. I
>
> Why is it always the nVidia zealots who accuse everyone else of being
> religious?
>
> > also use the Nvidia propritary drivers. Why you ask? Because open or
> > closed they are clearly the best drivers for X. For most people  who
> > do actual work on their boxes, functionality matters more than a
> > religious kick :-) .  Also I want to run the latest hardware & not
>
> Yeah, and what "work" are you getting done with your binary nVidia driver
> that couldn't be done with an open source alternative.   My guess,
> nothing.   Have you even tried the open source nv alternative?

Ok your obviously an imature kid. And you havn't had a serious job
yet. I more so program Linux related stuff. But I also get into 3D art
using Maya mainly. These require 3d accelration (hmmm.. can nv driver
do that?) Though I'm not very good at it. Friends of mine use it at
there jobs everyday.

> > something that is 7 years old with crappy performance, just to say
> > that my system is all open source. We have all asked Nvidia to open
> > there drivers, but they insit on staying closed source. Since they
> > keep up with kernel releases & fix the drivers when there are breaks,
> > I personally have just gotten used to it. I install them and I don't
> > have any problems. There drivers clearly surpass all drivers in X when
> > it comes to features. Maybe one day Nvidia will wake up and release
> > there drivers open source, but until then I have as of yet to see
> > anyone who can match their drviers...especially ATI.
>
> BS.  Obviously you have to overstate the facts (ie. there are many open
> source cards newer than 7 years old) to feel like you can defend your
> position, typical nVidia zealotry.  Get over it.
No I don't overstate the facts. As a long time linux user I am now
more concerned on functionality. I have owned ATI Radeons and there
Linux drivers are horrible in comparison. Hopefully they can get there
act together. But Nvidia from day one has had a nice solid driver set
for people to use. Works great for games & work under Linux.