question about RedHat/Fedora and the GPL

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 13:21:00 UTC 2005

On 6/8/05, condition terminal <conditionterminal at gmail.com> wrote:
> So ignore a potentional violation because someone else is planning to
> do the same thing, but better?
You asked for a concensous opinion about whether or not to continue to
press forward with this.  I've done exactly what you have asked, I
gave you my opinion as to the worth of releasing rawhide. I think
concensous has been reached in this thread.. and its contrary to your
desire. I'm not qualified.. nor are you... to make a serious legal
determination as to whether their is a violation in this space. I am
quite confident that competent legal opinion both inside and outside
of RedHat have look at this.  I would be shocked if the fsf hadn't
already made a determination with regard to the beehive situation.
You are of course free to go ask the fsf about what they think about
this situation.  And while your on their site, make a donation  (
https://www.fsf.org/donate/directed-donations/gpl.html )   that will
go towards serious efforts by serious people to enforce gpl
compliance.

It's time to face facts, continued discussion on this list about your
desire to compell the release of beehive is going to get you nowhere.
Its time for this discussion to end here. If you believe there is a
violation here its now time for you to find a competent legal opinion
who is familiar with the gpl and begin a formal legal review.

> Thats an interesting view point on possible GPL violations.

No... actually... all ianal view points are uninteresting.. both mine
and yours.

-jef"i dare you to donate"spaleta