Wish list

Horst von Brand vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl
Wed Jun 8 17:36:00 UTC 2005

Mike Hearn <mike at navi.cx> wrote:
> On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 22:31:31 +0100, Mike Hearn wrote:
> > - Auto update breaks nvidia drivers every few weeks

> I guess I should have added that this affects the open source NTFS drivers
> too. This isn't a black/white thing to do with proprietary vs open source
> drivers - anything that Red Hat choose not to ship for whatever reason
> (which they usually keep secret) is affected by it :/

I'm not happy either, but I can understand the (probable) reason behind
this: If you are in doubt that shipping $SOMETHING might be illegal, better
just don't ship and shut up. That way $THEY can't later claim that RH
warned the community about the legal problem, that RH considered breaking
the law (now /that/ would make SCOXes day! not that such considering and
deciding not to do it because of whatever reasons (including legal ones)
must be commonplace...), and/or that RH agrees with them that shipping
$SOMETHING is illegal or whatever.

AFAIU in the case of NTFS it is that as there is no write support (just
picture at all the users screaming they can't write to their Hasefroch
partition...), and using the alternative (Win drivers via captive) might be
legally dubious, better abstain completely.