Firefox crippling

John Thacker thacker at math.cornell.edu
Wed Jun 8 22:18:31 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 11:29:30PM +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le mercredi 08 juin 2005 à 16:23 -0400, Richard Li a écrit :
> > >Altogether, Gnome2 is a very unergonomic piece of software. Userfriendly
> > >software should adapt to the user, but with Gnome2 the user has to adapt
> > >to the software. This is caused by the refusal of Gnome2 developers to
> > >allow configuration of their software and the frequent changes of the
> > >user interface.

> > Any claim like this should probably start with a definition of user ;-).
> >
> > I would imagine that someone who does, say, marketing, would never
> > configure their desktop (for better or worse).
>
> What a strange things to say.
> Marketing people _love_ eye-candy and fancy stuff. That's why they are
> in marketing.

Yes, but they don't tend to configure their desktop outside of things
like desktop wallpaper, screen savers, and, say, WinAMP skins.
Marketing people like eyecandy and fancy stuff and choices when it
comes to *producing* things for their work.  That doesn't mean that
they want to fiddle with a bunch of choices about what double-clicking
on a title bar does or whether their windows auto-raise on mouseover.
Nor have I ever seen a marketing person who was interested in customizing
their keyboard shortcuts-- outside of complaining if they didn't all
basically work like Microsoft Office shortcuts for similar tasks.

John Thacker