Making update functionality more usable (Was: Re: What next?)

Rui Miguel Seabra rms at 1407.org
Thu Jun 9 12:42:36 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-08 at 05:34 -0700, Colin Charles wrote:

> > > Since one of the goals of FC5 is to have pup in place to handle updates
> > > from a graphical point of view, I'd be interested in hearing what sorts
> > > of things made the Ubuntu stuff more usable.  Or the same for other
> > > distros as well.
>
> Just to make it clear, Ubuntu just has: dpkg/apt, Synaptic, and
> update-notifier, right?
>
> We (will) have: rpm/yum, s-c-packages(okay, pup), and pup's
> update-notifier

They have a graphical update manager that's very fancy. Probably the
update-notifier icon is part of that update manager.

Another very interesting thing is that every single one of those apps
around packaging use the same repo settings (besides other settings), so
they feel integrated.

Rui

+ So let's do it...?