OT: nVidia driver [was: Wish list] (CORRECTION)

Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith@ieee.org> thebs413 at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 9 20:00:00 UTC 2005

From: "Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org>" <thebs413 at earthlink.net>
> Hell, atop of all that, one thing that was a pleasant surprise is Sun Looking
> Glass.  Once I hit the API, I realized how forward-thinking Sun is.  E.g., even
> input is treated as a 3D via the "picker."  Talk about realizing that we really
> need to end the days of 2D buffers upon buffers, independent, unintegrated
> layers upon layers, the sooner every system is GLX, the better. And best of all,
> Looking Glass it's GPL -- not any MPL-like license or even MIT advertising.

Just as a clarification, while I often refer to accelerated OpenGL (via libGL)
and OpenGL over X11 (GLX) interchangably, I do mean the former in most
cases -- where the latter is typically inherited for free.

I should make that distinction, because Looking Glass is not a GLX environment.
It is a completely different, but GPL Freedomware (Open Source, Open Standard)
environment with X11, GLX, etc... compatibility layers.

Bryan J. Smith   mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org