Smart package manager (was Re: Making update functionality more usable (Was: Re: What next?))

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Fri Jun 10 21:42:27 UTC 2005

Hard to say, as I don't have a machine on which to test that multilib
actually works, but the docs indicate that some thought has been put
into it:

- There's a special RPMNameProvides class that must be used
  to provide the package name itself together with the package
  version and the architecture appended. We must use a special
  class here to be able to match RPMObsoletes against
  package names only, since that's the way RPM expects it to
  happen. Appending the architecture is necessary for
  multilib handling of upgrades. Notice that RPM packages
  already provide the name/version explicitly, so instead
  of just adding a new provides, it's usually necessary
  to catch the existent provides and change the class/append
  the arch when matching the package name/version.