OT: nVidia driver [was: Wish list] -- nVidia doesn't own a lot of the IP

Sean seanlkml at sympatico.ca
Sun Jun 12 19:53:35 UTC 2005

On Sun, June 12, 2005 2:35 pm, Bryan J. Smith said:

Bryan,

I agree with much of what you said; forgive me for focusing on only the
things where we differ:

> By not taking the time to differentiate Commerceware/Hostageware from
> Standardware/Sourceware, you're going the same thing in reverse.  There
> is this absolutist radicalism on _both_ sides.

People who understand the distinctions you draw, may still conclude that
their own best interest is served by focusing on open-source, and
rejecting the rest of your categories.   This does not make them radical
or narrow minded.

> And *I* will decide that for myself.  We should let others do the same.

But you're advocating for what others should do too!  You're no different
than the people who are advocating for open source.  You might think your
criteria is based on sounder reasoning, however we think ours is based on
even more sound reasoning ;o)

> Sometimes there is nothing more dangerous than someone saying "we know
> what's better for you."  As much as I may _agree_ with you, I have to
> step back and realize that _choice_ much be preserved, even when I don't
> agree with Microsoft or others.

Yes.  But other than the technical arguments against using binary-only
drivers, nobody is telling you what is best for you.  Only what, in our
opinion, is best for the advancement of open source.  You're free to use
whatever criteria you want in making your own choice.  That doesn't mean
we should be silenced when suggesting to people that they consider their
choice in a broader context.

Regards,
Sean