bad practice: not reading the manpage

Tim Waugh twaugh at redhat.com
Tue Jun 14 08:19:05 UTC 2005

On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 12:05:37AM -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 13, 2005 at 08:32:23PM -0700, Florin Andrei wrote:
> > > 'off' - configure the service to not start
> > > 'del' - remove all state for the service entirely
> > But that's a state in itself, functionally equivalent to "off on all
> > runlevels". It's unique only in the way that it is not preserved by "rpm
> > -U"
>
> How *could* it be??? That's the _exact_ difference between using "--del" and
> "off".

Precisely.  What the original poster is asking for seems to be
equivalent to asking for state to be preserved in this case:

chkconfig foo off
rpm -e foo
rpm -i foo-1-1.rpm

However, it does sound to me like there should at least be a warning
in the man page that packaged services should be disabled using
'off'...

...although, having actually read it, there already *is* such a
warning:

       --del name
              The service is removed from chkconfig management, and
              any symbolic links in /etc/rc[0-6].d which pertain to
              it are removed.

              Note that future package installs for this service may
              run chkconfig --add, which will re-add such links. To
              disable a service, run chkconfig name off.

Perhaps chkconfig should check whether it's running from a tty and ask
for confirmation. :-)

Tim.
*/