rawhide report: 20050617 changes

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Tue Jun 21 13:08:41 UTC 2005

On Ven 17 juin 2005 22:53, Panu Matilainen a écrit :
> On Fri, 2005-06-17 at 11:34 -0400, Andrew Overholt wrote:
>> On Fri, 2005-06-17 at 14:46 +0200, Matthias Saou wrote:
>> > Am I the only one that it kind of bothers to not see java stuff using
>> > dedicated namespace for the package names?

Due to the fragmentation of the java space you have several namespaces.
All the jakarta components are filed under jakarta-*, classpath components
have their own namespave too, etc

All the one-offs not attached to a particular project and that are strange
mixes of libs and apps have no prefix, just like yum is not python-yum.

>> > Things like "gnu.regexp"
>> seem
>> > totally wrong... not to mention the dot in the name for that
>> particular
>> > one.
>
> No you're not alone in that Matthias...
>

>> If you want, bring this up with the JPackage folk since that's where the
>> names are coming from.
>
> Since when did FC start to follow whatever somebody else does?

Since it got for free a thousand of compatible packages. Feel free to
rename all of them and rebuild them and check the deps you end up with are
still right (there are no autodep macros in java land)

> It's not any different for java, "gnu.regexp" is simply a bad name for a
> java-only library

I agree this one is bad - it should be gnu- or classpath- something instead.

Feel free to fix this kind of warts upstream at jpackage, admittance is
free and paquage quality is directly proportional to contributer &
reviewer numbers. This is a community project. We don't have half the
entry barriers of FC or FE because we can not afford to.

> (or whatever they're called in the java-land).
> Just imagine all the perl-modules in FC without perl-prefix:

perl- components all come from a single project CPAN with common
guidelines and rules. Java packages that use a cpan-like infrastructure
have their own namespaces but a big part of the java space is just
fragmented. Adding a blanket namespace for stuff that feels different and
behaves different is just stupid.

Also apps are not namespaced in fedora.

Regards,

--