FC4 kernel performance

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Tue Jun 21 17:39:32 UTC 2005

On Tue, Jun 21, 2005 at 12:08:22PM -0400, David Cary Hart wrote:
> Dave, I still wish that FC would revert to the FC3 src.rpm structure
> where the spec provided for a source rpm build. I suspect that the
> number of users who wish to customize their kernel is growing and the
> FC3 method seems much simpler (at least to me).

This has been rehashed a zillion times, but the short answer is that it's
not really any good, since the resulting source tree isn't necessarily
"clean" for the build architecture you expect. Tweaking the source rpm is a
bit more learning and a tiny bit more work upfront, but it makes management
easier (worth sometime) and  produces more correct results (priceless).