reverted back to old browser start functionality + startup notification rant

Christopher Aillon caillon at redhat.com
Wed Jun 22 15:00:00 UTC 2005

On 06/21/2005 02:37 PM, Matthew Lenz wrote:
> With FC3 the launcher script would check to see if firefox was already
> running and if so, it would simply open a new window.  Now FC4 is back
> to the old way where it attempts to do startup notification and hijacks
> the cursor with the 'hour glass' until startup notification times out.
> I wish I didn't feel like gnome startup notification was a huge hack,
> but I do (can it just be disabled?).  Yet, when I click on a url in
> gaim, or evo it opens it properly in a new tab or window (according to
> my tab browser preferences). What gives? I would assume they all execute
> the same script right?  Also is it entirely necessary for startup
> notification to hijack the cursor with the hourglass just because a
> program is starting?  Is it unreasonable that i'd want to immediately go
> to the Applications menu and open another application while the other is
> device. :)

I keep getting distracted with other priority items -- I want to write
the fix for Firefox to handle this properly.  The issue now is just
finding time to do so!

Basically, what needs to happen is we need to hack in a service that
xremote can install a DESKTOP_STARTUP_ID to, and then have the new
window code properly pass that on to gtk before we paint the window on
screen.  It's kind of tricky and the codepoints are a little scary at times.

I'm at LinuxTag this week and will probably be catching up next week so
I won't have time to for a while.  I'd love to see this patched though.
  If someone is interested, please let me know and I'll attempt to get
you on your way (only serious inquires, please!)