Cairo [was: rawhide report: 20050621 changes]

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Thu Jun 23 01:46:43 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-22 at 17:06 +0200, Tarjei Knapstad wrote:
> I would be highly surprised if this wasn't a design
> goal in Cairo given that all hardware accelerated graphics currently
> require the use of proprietary drivers (99.9% anyway...) which most of
> the FOSS community seems to bark at.

Yeah, this lack of hardware acceleration in non-proprietary drivers is
what has got me worried.  NVIDIA seem to be doing an okay job with their
driver (a lot more could be done) and ATI seem to be struggling to
produce a driver too.  And both of these are non-free and therefor not
able to be included with FEDORA.

I'd like to add to the wish list for FC5 at this point.  If cairo is
going to become a part of FC5, then I'd like to see more work put into
producing FOSS drivers to support hardware acceleration out of the box.

R.

PS. This is a big ask for two reasons.  Firstly, I don't code (I
contribute time in other ways) so I can't really help out here (except
with testing), and secondly, I realize that this is a big ask. - R.

 It's much better on my side"