FC4 kernel performance

Bernardo Innocenti bernie at develer.com
Fri Jun 24 05:29:01 UTC 2005

Gregory Maxwell wrote:

> On 6/24/05, Bernardo Innocenti <bernie at develer.com> wrote:
>
>>I'm ashamed to admit that sometimes I envy NTFS's transparent
>>file compression.  Yes, it's very slow for general use, but it
>>would be ideal for backups, old log files, etc.
>

> It's insane that it is slow... unless you modify the file compression
> should make things faster.. substantially so.  The modify part is hard
> unless you're working with a file system that can solve it as
> elegantly as reiser4 can...

Yes, NTFS compression isn't generally slow when just reading
sequentially.  Slow operations are seeks, writes and even appends.

I know a company who used NTFS compression to store transaction
records in a POS application.  Tests were done with small data
sets.  When they went to production, they had to quickly revert
installed systems to uncompressed storage.  Apparently, appending
a transaction to the journal was a linear operation :-)

I don't know for sure, but JFFS2 shouldn't suffer from this
problem.  Using it on a 2MB flash, I can't test it with large
files :-)

\X/  http://www.develer.com/