Request for Fedora Core 4 Next Kernel Release - inotify

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Fri Jun 24 10:12:48 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jun 24, 2005 at 08:53:40AM +0100, Seb Payne wrote:
> I hope this is the right place to ask but I would like to make a request
> for the Fedora Core Kernel developers. I have been trying rebuild the
> kernel with inotify enabled (for use with Muine and Beagle).

inotify is still not in the upstream kernel. It seems to be heading that way
but it would be bad to include something now which might change entirely at
some point in the future

> make running Muine and Beagle easier. The next Ubuntu release will have
> inotify enabled as standard :-)

Fedora tries to keep close to the base kernel. In particular we don't want to
have APIs that are not fixed in the base kernel  because having to deal with
'ubuntu api', 'upstream api', 'fedora api' all differently would not be good
for developers or Linux longer term.