FC4 Kernel Stack Size

Ian Kent raven at themaw.net
Sat Jun 25 04:56:41 UTC 2005

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005, The DJ wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I'm looking for a reliable answer here.  With FC3 I had to get a specially patched kernel to use ndiswrapper because the kernel stack was 4k and a larger stack size was needed.  Downloaded a 16k FC3 kernel from Linuxtant and it worked.  I was wondering what size the FC4 kernel stack is because I want to upgrade but Linuxtant hasn't yet provided a FC4 kernel.

This modification shouldn't be so hard.

I had to do it for an FC3 machine myself.
What is more of a concern is that I saw some noise about making 4K stacks
only for vanilla kernels.

Anyway,

1) Grab the kernel source rpm and install it.
2) Alter the approiate config (eg SOURCE/kernel-2.6.11-i586.config).
   Find the line "CONFIG_4KSTACKS=y" and change the y to an n.
3) In SPECS/kernel-2.6.spec set the macros to build only what you need.
   eg.
	%define buildup 0
	%define buildsmp 1
	%define includexen 0
	%define builddoc 0
4) Build the binary rpm.
	rpmbuild -bb -target=i686 SPECS/kernel-2.6.spec
5) Install binary package and your done.

The --target option seems to be needed these days. I'm not sure why.

You can make a source rpm for your kernel with this mod using
rpmbuild -bs SPECS/kernel-2.6.spec

Well at least this should be close to what you need to do.

Oh and clean up using

rpmbuild --rmspec --rmsource --clean kernel-2.6.spec

Ian