C++ compatibility package dropped

Paul Iadonisi pri.rhl4 at iadonisi.to
Sun Jun 26 21:56:59 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-06-25 at 00:04 +0100, Mike Hearn wrote:

[snip]

> Please, save the usual replies. I know some here think any packages not
> used within the distribution should be dropped. I know some don't care
> about games (even the open source ones). I don't want to hear it -
> Fedora is not the universe, and if it wishes to be taken seriously should
> not pretend to be.

  Let me get this straight.  You post your usual complaint about Fedora
Core making it difficult for proprietary apps and open source developers
who don't want to package their apps as rpms and submit them to *some*
yum repo (or set up their own), and then don't want to hear the usually
response?
  Yup, you're absolutely right.  Fedora is NOT the universe.  And anyone
who expects Fedora to take the universe into consideration is going to
be profoundly disappointed.
  I, for one, prefer Fedora to move forward, getting rid of old, crufty
compat-* packages giving low priority to those who don't want to adapt
their apps to Fedora's fast moving pace.  *You* may not take Fedora
seriously.  I don't need backwards compat cruft for *me* to take it
seriously.  Even with being considered for the 'hobbyist, enthusiast,
developer.'
  You want something that moves slower?  Buy RHEL, or grab a copy of
CentOS.  Otherwise, take up the mantle and initiate the Fedora Compat
project to scratch your own itch.  You don't want to be beholden to Red
Hat legal?  Then don't call it that.

--
-Paul Iadonisi
 Senior System Administrator