C++ compatibility package dropped

Fernando Herrera fherrera at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 22:17:10 UTC 2005

On 6/26/05, Paul Iadonisi <pri.rhl4 at iadonisi.to> wrote:
[...]
>   I, for one, prefer Fedora to move forward, getting rid of old, crufty
> compat-* packages giving low priority to those who don't want to adapt
> their apps to Fedora's fast moving pace.  *You* may not take Fedora
> seriously.  I don't need backwards compat cruft for *me* to take it
> seriously.  Even with being considered for the 'hobbyist, enthusiast,
> developer.'

Is gcc 3.3 old and crutfy? Wow. 1 year ago?. Well, this compat
breaking from gcc people plus non "old and crutfy" support on distros
is making C++ (and gtkmm) a non possible platform for ISV's making
software for Linux. And ISV don't have resources to package their
application for every Linux distro, setting up repositories, etc...
They just want to put a package and allow people to download it and
install it easily.

We have very few ISV making software for linux now, because we have
very few desktop share, but this is changing...

Salu2