ISV approach on C++ compatibility (was Re: C++ compatibility package dropped)

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Mon Jun 27 11:11:24 UTC 2005

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 07:01:26 +0300, Mircea MITU wrote:
> As an ISV, our approach was to document this issue in our Knowledge Base
> and product documentation, to show relevant error messages at install time
> and to explain this behavior to our users. So far, nobody cried and all
> BitDefender users were able to install the proper compat-libstdc package,
> with or without our help.

BitDefenders userbase is probably more towards the technical side of the
population. Judging from your download page, which provides gcc29x and
gcc3x packages with no explanation they have to be if only to figure out
which of the 6 downloads they need to get. That's a far cry from your
average non-technical gamer/web surfer/IM user.

thanks -mike