C++ compatibility package dropped

Jakub Jelinek jakub at redhat.com
Tue Jun 28 15:23:00 UTC 2005

On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 10:22:53AM -0400, Horst von Brand wrote:
> This is /Fedora/, commited to being bleeding edge (or thereabouts). So the
> "have everybody retain libraries for some years for nostalgia's sake"
> doesn't belong here. Sure, perhaps making a group of "legacy libraries,
> needed for some third party software" stand out when installing might be a
> good idea.

Such group exists and the libraries we are talking about are in that
group.  The disagreement is whether it ought to be installed by default
or not, and the choice Fedora is making is not installing that group
by default, and you need to click one checkbox to change that.

As the majority of people don't need those and even for those that
need it the majority will use rpm where yum localinstall etc. can
handle the dependencies automatically, IMHO that's the right default choice.

	Jakub