Packaging kernel modules

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Thu Jun 30 04:23:19 UTC 2005

I'm figuring out how to install nosy, a Firewire sniffer, and it involves
installing a kernel module. I'd like to wrap up what I learn in an RPM.
I've packaged apps before but not kernel modules. Can anyone point me to an
example that shows the preferred way to do it? The Makefile is already set
up for building outside the kernel tree, and accepts a prefix for /usr.
Will that work fine for building within an RPM_BUILD_ROOT? (Ie. does the
kernel build system tolerate logical installation directories?) Do I invoke
depmod in %post as I would ldconfig when installing a userspace library?