fedora-devel-list Digest, Vol 12, Issue 108

John Thacker thacker at math.cornell.edu
Tue Mar 1 05:34:12 UTC 2005

On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 05:13:40PM +1100, Martin Sevior wrote:
> See the post from today.

> Join in. Be part of the solution. As I said we're a grass roots
> organisation that responds to real people with real problems.
> We're VERY responsive to people with patches.

I have made some comments and bugs in Bugzilla in the past, part of which
resulted in some things getting fixed, and other ones which have been left
for years with "well, none of us who hack on this regularly are CJK users"
comments.  I know that it's a nasty cycle where CJK users won't use your
program so much, which makes it harder for things to get fixed.  I also
know that all your custom widgets make it difficult to get the same
level of support (and I know why you have those custom widgets too).
However, I am willing to trust that things will improve, and I look
forward to it, as Abiword does have a lot of nice features, as you said.
Personally, though, I don't have the time to hack on Abiword now.

Still, given all that, OOo right now does use a free license, and FC
current attempts to only have one application *in Core* (as opposed to
Extras) for each job.  And given that, it's hard for me to support
Abiword over the equally free OOo *right now* in Core as the default
with the lack of workable CJK support.  In the future, it might be different,
but right now if you're going to choose one, it has to be the one that
CJK users can actually use.  It's not like being in Extras means not being
available at all.  (Now gnumeric I like more than the OOo Calc-- but shipping
OOo Writer tends to push toward making Calc the default as well.)

John Thacker