gpdf vs evince

Tet sta282 at astradyne.co.uk
Tue Mar 1 12:24:13 UTC 2005

Ivan Gyurdiev writes:

>Hi, I noticed gv, ggv, and gpdf were removed from FC3 in favor of
>evince. I had never used evince before, so I had no opinion.

I found myself in the same position, so I thought I'd give evince
a go. The only problem is, there is no easy way of trying it out.
"A "yum search evince" comes back empty, for example. Since evince
doesn't even appear to be in FC3, isn't it a bit premature to be
talking about it replacing other (working, available) apps? I guess
I could probably get it from Rawhide, but should that really be
necessary?

I'm all for progress, but I'd rather see at least some overlap between
a proposed new app, and the older apps it's intended to replace,
if for no other reason that giving users a chance to have a side
by side comaprison. Isn't this supposed to be a meritocracy? Let
the best app win? Replacing working and used code with an untried
and untested app seems a little rash...

Tet