reducing distribution CD count

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Wed Mar 2 10:23:51 UTC 2005

On Mer 2 mars 2005 2:45, Dag Wieers a écrit :
> On Tue, 1 Mar 2005, Dave Jones wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 01:24:58AM +0100, Dag Wieers wrote:
>>  > On Tue, 1 Mar 2005, Jamie Zawinski wrote:
>>  >
>>  > > Also, more people run screen savers than tuxracer, so that's where
>> the
>>  > > video driver crashes tend to occur.  Then they blame me and I am
>> sad.
>>  >
>>  > Hehe, I've had several people complain about 'random' crashes,
>> usually
>>  > when they arrived at work in the morning or came back from coffee.
>> All of
>>  > them related to 3D screensavers :)
>>  >
>>  > Maybe disabling 3D screensavers by default (and/or a warning about
>> the
>>  > potential to crash when people open the screensaver configuration)
>> would
>>  > reduce the uncomfortable (unstable) feeling people got when using
>> Linux in
>>  > these cases.
>>
>> Or how about just fixing the drivers so they don't lock up ?
>
> People first have to know why it crashes before they know where to report
> it. The anecdotes I gave was to indicate that people usually don't know
> why it crashed and in return have a general feeling of unstability.

What would be helpful is some script that went through all the screesavers
sequentially so it'd be easier to test what screensaver is failing.

Pretty often when that happens to me the screen goes to sleep after a
while and good luck finding what screensaver locked-up the box (yes I know
I could do it manually - I just have other things to do than go through
the full FC screensaver list with mouse and keyboard)

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot