I want more CDs in the distribution

Gerald Henriksen ghenriks at rogers.com
Wed Mar 2 12:58:42 UTC 2005

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 17:26:03 -0500, you wrote:

>Let's talk about the reason for a second.... java is FRELLING HUGE!

Java is not huge.  It is all the other stuff coming along for the ride
(Eclipse, etc.) that make java seem huge.

>> If Red Hat and the people in charge of Fedora want people to view
>> Extras as a postive change ...
>
>I'm not sure what to really say about this. People who expect
>perfection at every step in a long multifacetted process are setting
>themselves up for continual disappointment.  The existance of Extras

I am certainly not expecting perfection.  Anyone who has gone through
the birth of Fedora and is still here most certainly realizes that
things happen.

But the flip side is that we also view statements about timeframes for
things to be implemented with a great deal of skepticism.  While I
believe Red Hat has the best of intentions regarding Fedora and the
announcements that are made one cannot escape that things have moved a
lot slower than anticipated.

>is absolutely a positive change... but integrating fully with the
>evolving development process of Core  is not going to happen
>overnight... its not going to happen in one release cycle.

Your final sentence sums it up the fear that all the people fighting
the move of packages into Extras have.  That Fedora 5 will come and go
with no support in anaconda, and maybe even future releases.

If Extras is important to Fedora then it should be supported, not half
supported, or partially supported, or even mostly supported but fully
supported.