Package pruning for FC4 and beyond - COMPLETE LIST

Jindrich Novy jnovy at redhat.com
Wed Mar 2 13:41:49 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-02-26 at 12:24 -0500, Eric Warnke wrote:
> lynx/w3m+w3m-el/elinks
I think we should have a text-mode browser in core, personaly I vote for
elinks. The only thing I missed with elinks was the -dump feature that
was available only in lynx. The recent elinks has this feature so I
think elinks is the best from these now.

> usermode/utempter - overlaps with sudo
Nope, usermode contains not only authentication helpers, but also
usermount and other things that are of course missing in the other
mentioned packages. Many programs are dependent on userhelper now so
it's quite impossible to replace it by anything else at the moment.

> nedit - another x text editor
No objections against dropping this from core.

> mc - Is this really a core util? would it be better served in extras?
This is very useful thing that should be in core. I don't see any
substitute for it in field of text-mode file managers and it has some
unique features such as rpm vfs that helps many people.

Jindrich

--
Jindrich Novy <jnovy at redhat.com>, http://people.redhat.com/jnovy/