fedora-devel-list Digest, Vol 12, Issue 108

Kyrre Ness Sjobak kyrre at solution-forge.net
Wed Mar 2 14:39:48 UTC 2005

tir, 01.03.2005 kl. 08.47 skrev Tet:
> John Thacker writes:
>
> >Still, given all that, OOo right now does use a free license, and FC
> >current attempts to only have one application *in Core* (as opposed to
> >Extras) for each job.  And given that, it's hard for me to support
> >Abiword over the equally free OOo *right now* in Core as the default
> >with the lack of workable CJK support.
>
> That's fine. For you OO.o is the right solution. Just remember that
> there are others for whom the opposite is true. Abiword does some things
> that OO.o can't do, and thus for them, that's the right solution. For
> me, there's no question that Abiword/Gnumeric are a better combination
> than OO.o. But it seems there's little point in arguing about it now.
> AFAICT, the decision has already been made, and FC4 will ship with them
> in Extras. Let's just hope someone sees the light and puts them back
> into Core for FC5.

As far as i understand, extras is open for non-rh devs to maintain - and
if (example) AbiWord was maintained by somebody who used AbiWord
reguraly, and maybe even was an AbiWord developer - wouldn't that
possibly give a better AbiWord than somebody who never used it exept
fiering it up to check that "yum, it still starts" after recompiling,
but never sees any bugs etc. ?

Kyrre