reducing distribution CD count

Gene C. czar at czarc.net
Thu Mar 3 13:04:27 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 02 March 2005 11:39, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> On Mar  1, 2005, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 01 Mar 2005 18:53:45 -0300, Alexandre Oliva <aoliva at redhat.com> wrote:
> >> How about: internet access only from work, monitored downloads, no CD
> >> burning permitted, small amount of web browsing tolerated?
> >
> > How does that system get any update packages at all?
>
> Odds are it doesn't need them, since it's not connected.

While security updates may not have the same level of concern for unconnected
systems, bugfixes are.  With Fedora Core having a much higher number of
updates issued than Red Hat Linux had, updating unconnected systems or
network of systems is an issue with network-only updating.

As I see it there are two issues:

1.  Will the updating program be able to pull updates from a CD or DVD with
updated packages on it?  If the current up2date has this capability, I have
not been able to figure out how to make it work.

2.  Will the master repositories be organized in such a manner as to "make it
easy" to mirror updates.  Yes, I know there will be official mirror sites but
will I be able to easily get all the updates and then "move them" to some
media for updating stand-alone systems or networks of systems.

My experience is that I have fewer problems if I keep up-to-date than if I
just apply fixes when a problem occurs.
--
Gene