kernel-2.6.11-1.1166_FC4.src.rpm

Satish Balay balay at fastmail.fm
Fri Mar 4 03:17:03 UTC 2005

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005, David Cary Hart wrote:

> There is no way to customize the FC4 kernel without hacking the
> config files which is a VERY bad idea.

I've managed to build kernel.rpm [from .src.rpm] - with config
modifications primarily specified in .spec file - so no need for
kernel-source

To disable all the extra debugging in rawhide kernels - I have the
following mods in the kernel-2.6.spec file:

--------------
BuildKernel() {

<snip>
    make -s mrproper
    cp configs/$Config .config

    # personal modifications to disable a bunch of debug flags
    perl -p -i -e "s/^CONFIG_DEBUG_SLAB.*/CONFIG_DEBUG_SLAB=n/" .config
    perl -p -i -e "s/^CONFIG_DEBUG_BUGVERBOSE.*/CONFIG_DEBUG_BUGVERBOSE=n/" .config
    perl -p -i -e "s/^CONFIG_DEBUG_PAGEALLOC.*/CONFIG_DEBUG_PAGEALLOC=n/" .config
    perl -p -i -e "s/^CONFIG_DEBUG_HIGHMEM.*/CONFIG_DEBUG_HIGHMEM=n/" .config

And if you need to add patches - list them as any other patch
specified in the .spec file, and rebuild with:

rpmbuild -ba --target=i686 kernel-2.6.spec

Personally - I think this is much easier to maintain [when moving the
changes to an updated fedora kernel] than with kernel-source

Satish