slapcat daily cron job?

Steven Pritchard steve at silug.org
Fri Mar 4 17:44:26 UTC 2005

On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 06:17:19PM +0100, Nils Philippsen wrote:
> In the same vein you could argue that we should have nightly pg_dumpalls
> etc. I'd say that backups should be left to the administrator instead.
> Provide the scripts as examples of how to do a backup, but leave it as
> that.

Except that, generally speaking, if any other database server blows
up, the system still functions.  When openldap blows up, if you are
using it for authentication, bad things happen.

> If openldap tends to eat the directory, this needs to be fixed
> rather than installing such a backup script by default (which is not
> a real fix).

I don't think the two are mutually exclusive.

Again, I'm just using the example of rpm, which has a cron job that
dumps to /var/log/rpmpkgs.  That's *really* helped me a couple of
times now...

Steve
--
Steven Pritchard - K&S Pritchard Enterprises, Inc.
Email: steve at kspei.com             http://www.kspei.com/