64bit clean AMD64?

Peter Arremann loony at loonybin.org
Sat Mar 5 16:43:51 UTC 2005

On Friday 04 March 2005 22:58, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> what istall type are you actually doing in the installer? are you
> doing a minimal install or server?  'server' as a default install type
> is a rather generic concept.. and is not going to meet any single
> person's definition completely.  To really setup a server for specific
> tasks requires customization you aren't going to be able to rely on a
> default install type in the installer to give you exactly what you
> want. Why isn't kickstart file creation enough flexibility to create
> the system the specific system that you want?  There is room in the
> ecosystem for an array of pre-baked kickstart files if there are
> people in the community willing to work on them..collect them.. and
> maintain them.
>
> -jef"mmmmm beer"spaleta

Jeff, its a custom install - when you get to the selection of installed
packages the following components were selected:
Textbased Internet
Server Configuration Tools
Web Server
Mail Server
FTP Serever
Mysql Database (add php-mysql)
Development Tools
Administration Tools
System Tools (add am-utils)

With that, in both FC3 and Rawhide you still get some 32bit rpms. From the
installer there is no way to tell what will end up installing 32bit stuff.

So I went ahead and tried install a AMD64 box with FC3 and the packages above,
I then "rpm -qa --queryformat="%{name}-%{version}-%{release}.%{arch}\n" |
grep i386 | xargs rpm -e"

After that I had a box without 32bit packages... Then I do a yum update to get
the latest updates (that was about 3 weeks ago) and when I get back it showed
that boost for some reason wanted to install "some" i386 packages - 142 of
them to be exact...
I'm sure that was just a packaging error of some form (dependency to -devel
package I think) but when trying to figure out if there is a way to prevent
this, I found no good answer...

Peter.