Including OO templates in fc4

Kyrre Ness Sjobak kyrre at solution-forge.net
Sun Mar 6 18:57:53 UTC 2005

lør, 05.03.2005 kl. 23.44 skrev Jeff Spaleta:
> On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 09:31:13 +1100, Rodd Clarkson <rodd at clarkson.id.au> wrote:
> > I don't think that things like backgrounds, themes and OOo templates
> > should be installed by default unless the 'Desktop' option is install,
> > but the desktop user should be able to have them installed and will most
> > likely expect it.
>
> Be specific... you certaintly cant mean that you think people expect
> ALL of the possible variations of this crap to be installed.  You have
> to strike a balance. you have a few backgrounds... you have a few
> themes.... and if oo.org upstream includes templates.. then a few
> oo.org templates as well.
>
> Do the upstream oo.org releases include any templates? That's the
> first question that has to be answered. if not.. i dont see why fedora
> should be including any. Just packing up everything at ooextras and
> shipping it would be horrid.. just like packing up everthing from
> art.gnome.org would be horrid.  If upstream oo.org releases are
> shipping templates then those 'select' templates should be evaluated
> at the fedora distribution level.

Nobody has ever asked for entire ooextras to be in core. Just a few,
select good templates - ooextras was just one example of a source for
such templates. Maybe not more than five or so. But *some*.

Having seen how mac users and iWork users expect templates, i don't see
any reason why Linux users shouln't. It is just a matter of making the
user more productive in making contenent and publishing it, without
having to waste time and energy on figuring out how to make a nice
layout.