fedora on a flash drive

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Tue Mar 8 00:29:46 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-07 at 19:14 -0500, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 02:31:55PM -0800, Florin Andrei wrote:
> > Q1: Do you think it's too crazy a project to fly? :-)
>
> I've seen similar but done different ways. The init on the CF bootstraps the
> system by running sanity checks on the disk. It then does one of two things
>
> #1 If the sanity check passes, chroots (it was pre the root swivel stuff)
> and execs /sbin/init.
>
> #2 If it fails, it rebuilds the disk environment from the flash and puts
> everything there.

Hah! That's exactly what i was thinking! :-)

> Decent CF cards use wear levelling (its actually log structured internally).
> If you buy your CF from Micron (ie crucical) it comes with a lifetime
> warranty so it's their problem 8)

But how about all those scary stories about CF (un)reliability that i
keep hearing?
I mean, let's accept that CF may fail after X power failures. But a
normal HDD can also fail due to mechanical shocks, etc.

Just using a normal HDD would be much simpler. OTOH, maybe it's just me,
but i've had so many issues with fsck... (probably i'm too old and i
keep remembering bad stuff since the days of Ext2)

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/