Resolving dependencies (libcrypto.so.4...)

Jim Cornette jcornett at insight.rr.com
Tue Mar 8 03:53:56 UTC 2005

h.breimer wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 08:01:31 -0400
> mbneto <mbneto at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I've been unable to upgrade to the latest packages with the same error
>>messages: Error: Unable to satisfy dependencies
>>Error: Package ntp needs libcrypto.so.4, this is not available.
>>Error: Package libwvstreams needs libssl.so.4, this is not available.
>>Error: Package pyOpenSSL needs libcrypto.so.4, this is not available.
>>Error: Package dhcpv6_client needs libcrypto.so.4, this is not
>

>>Any ideas of how can I bypass such restrictions ?
>>
>>- mb
>>

> I downloaded openssl-0.9.7e-3 from the development tree
> rpm -i openssl-0.9.7e-3
> Now I had both the lib...so.4 and the ...so.5 libs in my box.
> Yum update did its work after this.
>
> Remember to rpm -e openssl-0.9.7a-46 later when all packages are over to
> the new version.
>
> Enjoy the bumpy ride and avoid the baby-eating horror-gurus!
>
> success!
> Henk

Mutt required the so.4 versions for two of the libs that you mentioned.
I upgraded via ftp to rawhide and it installed the later so.5 versions.

Anyway, making a symlink from the so.5 symlink to an so.4 symlink
allowed mutt to work.

What other programs "require" the so.4 versions that are in development?

Jim

ls -la lib*so.{4,5}
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 19 Mar  7 22:21 libcrypto.so.4 ->
/lib/libcrypto.so.5
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 19 Mar  4 12:29 libcrypto.so.5 ->
libcrypto.so.0.9.7e
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 16 Mar  7 22:20 libssl.so.4 -> /lib/libssl.so.5
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 16 Mar  4 12:29 libssl.so.5 -> libssl.so.0.9.7e