system-config-network launches bug-buddy, but bug-buddy doesn't include bugzilla.redhat.com entries

Fernando Herrera fherrera at onirica.com
Wed Mar 9 08:30:15 UTC 2005

El mié, 09-03-2005 a las 12:53 +1100, Rodd Clarkson escribió:
> Hmmm, maybe that subject is too long ;-]
>
> system-config-network has failed to start for me for the past few days.
> I'm sure that smarter minds that I know this and are working on it (or
> maybe I'm stupid to presume) but I've noticed something even weirder as
> part of this crash.
>
> When system-config-network crashes, bug-buddy opens to allow you to
> report the crash.  However, in the report window, Select a Product or
> Application doesn't list either system-config-network, or any
> bugzilla.redhat.com packages which makes it a lot hard to file bug
> reports on this.
>
> Also, it's got some nasty implications for bugzilla.gnome.org  because
> it's likely that they will get many of these reports (that have nothing
> to do with gnome), placing extra load on the gnome developers.
>
> I seems that if system-config-network (and presumably system-config-*)
> is to use bug-buddy for bug reports, then items in bugzilla.redhat.com
> need to be included in the list of Products or Applications.

Every application linking with libgnomeui is showing by default the
gnome-crash-dialog when SIGSEGV signal is received. It allows the user
to launch bug-buddy. Setting the env var GNOME_DISABLE_CRASH_DIALOG
would disable this dialog.

If you want to get automagically bug-buddy reports sent to
bugzilla.redhat.com for Fedora specific applications you would need:
a) add X-GNOME-Bugzilla-* fields to .desktop files
b) Provide bugzilla.redhat.com/{config.xml,products.xml,mostfreqs.xml}
files
c) Add th b.r.c a procmailrc script to import the submitted mail (in the
future this is supposed to be migrated to a XML-RPC interface)

Another intermediate solution between disabling bug-buddy and adding
full support for it would be modify bug-buddy for checking bugzilla info
for the crashed application, and if it is not present, show a dialog
like this:
"Problems with this application should be manually informed to your
vendor, please go to [BTS url based on get_distro_name function] and
paste copy this report there"

Salu2