A more efficient up2date service using binary diffs

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 18:23:29 UTC 2005

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 12:05:02 -0600, Rex Dieter <rdieter at math.unl.edu> wrote:
> (unless *only* patches from the
> base rpm are ever released, which, IMO, would be bad in other ways).

That's not even concievable with Fedora Extras. Fedora Extras from all
discussion I've seen is to be primarily a rolling release model, it
would be difficult to define a 'base' rpm for Extras Packages.

> This has been discussed ad-nauseum on this list before.  In short, it's
> a *lot* of work, for *little* relative gain (at best).  It's not worth it.

While I don't think i would actively encourage people to work on
this.. from a manhour priority perspective... if interested parties
are intent on spending their personal time on this.. I would say there
is only one way forward..and that is incrementally. Instead of
fighting to convince developers for existing projects to include new
functionality they have reserverations about... build a stand-alone
tool set that can be used to generate the deltas and then re-generate
the rpms on the clientside for the distro package management tools to
use. Find a subset of mirrors to offer that service and get people to
test it. First get a stand-alone implementation tha can be used to
layer the experimental functionality over existing tools... before
worrying about integrating that functionality into existing tools.

-jef"at the very least.. it will be a learning experience for those
invovled.. like all good failing efforts are"spaleta