hald causing stutters

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Thu Mar 10 16:45:09 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-10 at 09:32 -0500, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 10, 2005 at 11:03:26AM +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> > Oops. The new acpi check code polls every 5 seconds to support laptops that
> > don't give ACPI events. I'm not sure why the poll would cause such a massive
> > chunk of CPU. David, perhaps we can make this configurable?
>
> It traps into the SMM BIOS and what happens then is BIOS dependant. You'll
> probably find it also makes your clock go out over time as well.

This should probably be fixed in hal then, no question about it. The
problem is that we don't get the ACPI events over the /proc/acpi/event
channel so we have to poll (and, I, for one, hate polling as much as the
next guy).

It's probably worth seeing what the battery applets do; Rodd, what
battery applet have you been using where this is not an issue? (before
the new hal 0.5.0 package, that is)

Thanks,
David