rawhide report: 20050310 changes

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Fri Mar 11 23:16:48 UTC 2005

On Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 03:04:57PM +0100, Ralf Ertzinger wrote:
> Hi.
>
> "Bill Rugolsky Jr." <brugolsky at telemetry-investments.com> wrote:
>
> > Is there some obvious reason why DKMS,
> >
> > 	http://linux.dell.com/projects.shtml#dkms
> >
> > is an _unacceptable_ starting point?
>
> It would require to make the development package a requirement for
> every install.

This is false.  DKMS can work equally well with tarballs/RPMs of
prebuilt kernel modules, or (if you've got a compiler) it builds from
source for the kernels you've got installed.

> Currently the desktop install comes without a compiler.

And in the Dell factory install process, even though the compiler may
get installed, we definitely don't want it to have to run.  Hence the
tarballs/RPMs containing prebuilt modules.

I agree it would be nice for the Fedora kernel build system to
automatically generate RPMs containing prebuilt modules for each new
kernel that comes out.  In this case, the build system would simply
invoke DKMS {build, mkrpm} commands to accomplish this, for each
kernel version / architecture / extra module.  Not really all that
tricky, it's what Dell does for our extra modules often.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch