A more efficient up2date service using binary diffs

Thomas Hille thomas.hille at nightsabers.org
Mon Mar 14 11:40:23 UTC 2005

Am Montag, den 14.03.2005, 08:18 +0100 schrieb Florian La Roche:
> On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 01:59:07AM +0000, Joe Desbonnet wrote:
> > I have more results from my experiments in RPM delta compression. I've posted
> > the results so far here: http://www.wombat.ie/software/rpmdc/index.shtml
> >
> > Conclusion so far: assuming someone has the distribution RPMs
> > available then an entire
> > update repository (about 1GB) can be generated from 200MB of files.
> >
> > I hope to post my code once I clean it up a bit (it's implemented in
> > Java currently).
> >
> > Must check out rdiff also...
>
> I've done tests some time ago that showed a 4.8 factor to reduce bandwidth
> needs for RHEL update releases. Big drawback will be the need of the previous
> packages, so this might again be only something for a local server to
> download updates, but not for normal client machines.
> Still the savings look very nice, so I think we should continue looking at
> this.

Just to give my 2 cents....

The drawback you talk about could be eliminated, when you diff not the
whole rpm, but instead for the single files in it. - These are present
on the client machine. Then the only problem that arises are corrupted
files. So you would need to check the md5 before.

Maybe doing the diff on the single files also could help compress the
rpms, that were not compressible using the whole rpm (omni-foomatic
etc.)

Nevertheless, the recent OOo update makes me believe, that we should
really think about anything that reduces bandwidth (even in the time of
common broadband access).

Thomas