GCC4 Portability

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Tue Mar 15 23:48:53 UTC 2005

David Cary Hart writes:

> Sorry. I know as much about C as I do about B12.
>
> If I compile an rpm with gcc4, are there any problems associated with
> installing that rpm on a machine running FC3 that I need to understand?

If you're compiling C++ code you probably need to install gcc4's libstdc++
on FC3, in order to run C++ code.  Pure C code should be ok.

RPM is fairly good at automatically figuring out these things by itself. Try
installing the package with rpm.  If rpm complains that's something's
missing, it's not going to work.  If rpm installs the package without
whining, you're probably ok.