Video Problems [Re: Old kernel RPMS ]

Kyrre Ness Sjobak kyrre at solution-forge.net
Thu Mar 17 21:38:51 UTC 2005

tor, 17.03.2005 kl. 17.29 skrev Ivan Gyurdiev:
> > ... I do not believe I have enough information at this point
> > to file a valuable bug report. I wanted to test old kernels
> > to determine the point of failure first. I also wanted to know
> > whether problems can arise from the interaction between gcc4-compiled
> > kernel, and binary kernel modules, and felt that the list was a more
> > appropriate place to ask this question.
>
> Okay, I have some more info now. More importantly, I think I have a
> reproducible test case.
>
> Setup
> I haven't had time to go look for old kernels and test, however
> I can confirm the crash I am dealing with occurs on kernels 1171-1177.
> I couldn't get 1170 to boot. I am experiencing instability with BOTH
> the nv open source driver, and the nvidia closed source driver.
> Additionally I am running X with the RENDER extension. I tried
> turning that off, and it makes no difference. Given the reproducible
> behavior, I think overheating is an unlikely source of the problem.
> It is possible I am dealing with another type of hardware failure, but
> I'd like to think not, since the hardware is rather new.
>
> Types of Crashes
> ===============================
> Crash 1: Garbage displayed on screen... diagonal waves or some other
> nonsense
>
> Crash 2: Monitor goes to standby (or whatever it's called that it does
> when it's switching resolutions, like before starting X).
>
> The above two occur with the nv driver. System does not respond to
> sysrq.
>
> Crash 3: Random freeze in the middle of what I'm doing. Screen freezes
> to a standstill. System responds to sysrq. Sysrq-p shows X to be active.
> I can provide more info if you'd like.
>
> This occurs with the nvidia binary driver.

I experienced *exactly* those things when i used a Voodo 3 PCI card
(lines rolling across monitor etc) - but the system didn't actually
*crash*, i was (sometimes, at least) able to ssh into it, and reboot it.
I think i was also able to (blindly) switch to a viritual console and
hit control+alt+del.

I personally blamed this on the card, as the problem went away the
moment i switched it for a nvidia geforce 2 Mx pci.

This was during late FC1 days.

Kyrre