Video Problems [Re: Old kernel RPMS ]

Thomas Hille thomas.hille at nightsabers.org
Thu Mar 17 22:13:13 UTC 2005

Am Donnerstag, den 17.03.2005, 11:29 -0500 schrieb Ivan Gyurdiev:

> Crash 3: Random freeze in the middle of what I'm doing. Screen freezes
> to a standstill. System responds to sysrq. Sysrq-p shows X to be active.
> I can provide more info if you'd like.
>
> This occurs with the nvidia binary driver.

I had the exact same behavior, I first thought it was some update, but I
finally resolved it being the chipset getting too hot. Installing an
additional fan resolved it. - And believe me, I _NEVER_ would have
thought the chipset could overheat 5 minutes after boot and the other
time it worked for days without a reboot. Especially while my board, a
tyan thunder, was said to be extremely stable. (well now it is: uptime
15 days, no reboot in sight)

Thomas