RFC: rpm auto-glib version enforcement

Mike Hearn mike at navi.cx
Sun Mar 20 14:19:07 UTC 2005

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 00:56:43 -1000, Warren Togami wrote:
> But there may be a simple and robust way to automate and avoid
> this problem.

There is, you can apply 1-level symbol versions and RPM will use them to
understand library minor versions. This is easy to do though it *MUST* be
done upstream. Doing this downstream will strongly risk breaking binary
compatibility with other distributions which is unacceptable.

Fortunately the patch to add 1-level (as opposed to multi-level like glibc
itself uses) symbol versioning is fairly trivial. The hardest part is
figuring out which symbols are exported by which versions but I expect
given a set of RPMs it could be automated.

Doing this for glib (or indeed the entire GTK+ stack) would be a nice
feature improvement for the next major release I'd think, but obviously
you'd need to take this to gtk-devel-list.

thanks -mike