RFC: rpm auto-glib version enforcement

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Sun Mar 20 18:49:11 UTC 2005

Once upon a time, Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net> said:
> Isn't compatibility broken (be it forward or backward), if I build
> against glib 2.6, but ldd still allows runtime linking against glib
> 2.4 which is missing symbols?

Tru64's shared library versioning allows a library to say it is
compatible with older versions, but still have binaries built against
the new library require the new library.  For example, you can have the
library be version 3 (so all binaries linked against it require version
3) but say it is still compatible with version 2.

Is there a way to do something similar with Linux and/or ELF?
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>